Larnaca

Cyprus

Larnaca, Greek Lárnax, Turkish Lârnaka, or Iskele, port town, southeastern Republic of Cyprus. The modern-day town, on the bay in between Capes Kiti and Pyla, overlays much of ancient Citium, established by the Mycenaeans in the 13th century BCE; it was restored by the Byzantines. Citium was the birthplace of the Greek philosopher Zeno of Citium, the founder of Stoicism. Its modern-day name (significance “Funerary Urn” in Greek) remembers the many tombs under its soil. The modern port, established throughout Ottoman profession (1571– 1878), was enlarged after the Turkish intervention (1974) in northern Cyprus closed the island’s primary port at Famagusta. Larnaca’s port accommodates little craft at dockside; larger ships anchor in the roadstead and are served by lighters (barges) or utilize 2 drifting pontoons finished in 1977. Potatoes and cement are exported through Larnaca. A developing industrial base includes a tannery, an oil refinery, a cooperative cheese factory, and the production of business salt, brooms, processed food, and chemicals. The town is linked by roads with Dhekelia, Pano Kophinou, and Mazotos. Larnaca International Airport has actually expanded considering that opening as a short-lived center in 1974 after the closing of the worldwide airport at Nicosia.

Church of Ayios Lazaros, Larnaca, Cyprus.

Larnaca is known for its schools, that include the American Academy (1908 ). According to tradition, Lazarus of Bethany settled there after his resurrection and became its first bishop; the chief church bears his name. Artifacts from archaeological excavations in the area are displayed in the regional museum housed in an Ottoman fortress put up in 1625.

The surrounding region is mostly farming. Crops consist of wheat, barley, potatoes, fruits, veggies, and nuts. Industry is based primarily on farming produce and consists of milled flour, canned fruit and vegetables, and drinks. Salt is drawn out, and copper and gypsum are mined at Kalavasos to the west. Pop. (2001) 70,502.

Larnaca, Greek Lárnax, Turkish Lârnaka, or Iskele, port town, southeastern Republic of Cyprus. The modern-day port, developed during Ottoman occupation (1571– 1878), was bigger after the Turkish intervention (1974) in northern Cyprus closed the island’s primary port at Famagusta. Larnaca’s port accommodates little craft at dockside; larger ships anchor in the roadstead and are served by lighters (barges) or utilize 2 drifting pontoons completed in 1977.