The older ancient city (Greek: Palaipaphos) was situated at contemporary Pírgos (Kouklia); New Paphos, which had superseded Old Paphos by Roman times, was 10 miles (16 km) farther west. New Paphos and Ktima together form modern-day Paphos.
Old Paphos, which was settled by Greek colonists in the Mycenaean period, included a popular temple of Aphrodite and was the famous site where Aphrodite was born from the sea foam. Old Paphos decreased in influence after the fall of the Cinyradae, the structure of New Paphos, and the Roman conquest of Cyprus (58 BCE).
New Paphos, which had actually been the port town of Old Paphos, ended up being the administrative capital of the whole island in Ptolemaic and Roman times. The city was assaulted and ruined by Muslim raiders in 960 CE. The modern-day town started to grow just after the British occupation in 1878. The harbour, centre of the city’s life, was improved in 1908 and 1959 but remains too small to manage big business traffic and thus serves only an active regional fishing fleet. Despite financial difficulties developing from the settlement in Paphos of some 5,000 Greek Cypriot refugees after the Turkish profession of 1974, by the end of the decade the city had actually ended up being the focus of strong financial development, consisting of an industrial estate and tourist hotels. The city’s manufacturing consists of small enterprises producing clothes, footwear, canned meat, beverages, and veggie oils. Regional points of interest consist of Orthodox churches, the Djami Kebir Mosque, Paphos Castle, and Frankish baths. Pop. (2001) city, 26,530; city location, 47,198.
The older ancient city (Greek: Palaipaphos) was located at modern Pírgos (Kouklia); New Paphos, which had actually superseded Old Paphos by Roman times, was 10 miles (16 km) farther west. Old Paphos diminished in impact after the fall of the Cinyradae, the structure of New Paphos, and the Roman conquest of Cyprus (58 BCE). New Paphos, which had been the port town of Old Paphos, became the administrative capital of the entire island in Roman and ptolemaic times.